Dorman Long South Bank Coke Oven

700 x 480mm
Edition of 50

Built between 1952 and 1957 by Simon-Carves Ltd, the prominent tower at the Dorman Long steel works served as a coal supply bunker for an installation of some 150 coke ovens. The Otto ovens were eventually demolished in 1973 and replaced with Wilputte ovens – which are still in use today – but the tower survived as a rare example of British industrial brutalist design.